Buying Into Lies?

Come, everyone who thirsts,
come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.
 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
 Incline your ear, and come to me;
hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
my steadfast, sure love for David."
(Isaiah 55:1-3)

This passage has kept me up at night lately.

There are some days, some times when it seems like you live in the flood-zone.  Time and trouble are rushing, always rushing by and you feel helpless.  You try to be strong.  You try to hold yourself and the people you love together because you feel like that's the only option.  The only way the world can go on is if you carry it on your back.

So it seems.

I find myself spending my days and pouring myself into the things that do not satisfy.  I buy into the lies of the world and the Devil about who I need to be and what I need to do and find myself way past where I need to be.  So far from home. 

We each carry with us our own names.  Names of who we think we are - Rejected.  Irrelevant.  Incompetent.  Also, names of who we think we need to be - Strong.  Dependable.  Independent.

I don't know about you, but I want to be done with this.

"Come to Me, hear, that your soul may live."

Someone once said that there's a thirst inside every human being because there is a River we are all meant to drink from.  We can try to deny our need of God, fight Him day in and day out.......strive on to carry the world all by ourselves.

But why spend our money on what is not Bread?  Why deny our thirst?

If we must fight for something, let it not be our "freedom" or "control" - but our passion for God and our affection for His Son.  As Tolkien put it, “War must be, while we defend our lives against a Destroyer who would devour all..."

And praise God, He fights for us - the battle is His and no else's.  He declares more truth over us than the Devil could ever speak lies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When You Wonder If You're Qualified

"No Mere Mortals".....Musings from Nationals

He Asks For Who We Are: (how what you have is enough to give, and why)