When We Can't Fix the World

I am by nature one who tries to fix things.  Everything from recipe typos to broken chairs to broken hearts.  It is difficult for me to see a situation in need of change and look the other way.  That's not how I was made.

Unfortunately, this also means that I try to do a lot of stuff on my own, be my own hero and everybody else's in some way.  I want to help people.

Recently I was faced with a situation that has bothered me for quite a while since.  It is difficult for me to watch people I care quite a bit about make decisions and/or walk unknowingly into situations that will hurt them and others.  These are the kinds of thoughts that keep me awake early into the morning some days.

Sadly, sometimes there isn't anything you can do.  As much as you want to help, as much as you want to prevent anything terrible from happening to people - your position is powerless when it comes to trying to warn them.

I have a choice.  You have a choice.

When we find ourselves in these situations, there are two ways we can respond.

First, we can obsess about it.  We can worry ourselves to death wondering how many lives one poor choice can effect.  We can wallow in our apparent hopelessness and wonder how on earth everybody's gonna stay alive without us holding them together (our hearts can be so dramatic, can't they!?  It's absurd.)

Or,

We can recognize the actual hero of the story, El-Emunah - The Faithful God.

Because as much as we'd like to believe that our efforts are the only thing that can bring change - He's the only one who ever had power to change things in the first place.  He's the only one who can change hearts.  He's the only one who can actually keep people safe and protected.

So will we have the courage to hand over our friends, our family members and our own circumstances to Him as we pray for Him to take over?  He is the only Person who can actually adequately care for them.

What's stopping us?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When You Wonder If You're Qualified

"No Mere Mortals".....Musings from Nationals

On Night Skies and Yielding Our Ways