Of Home and Our Dwelling-Place

I came home this past Sunday from a Bible retreat/fishing trip in Canada.  I had spent the week tent camping on an island with a few friends, and it really made for an amazing adventure (plus good food! <3 )

There were many things we studied when we weren't fishing.  Usually we were assigned a chapter from the Bible, supposed to memorize some verses from it, and then come back after the half hour to discuss it.

One morning, our text was Psalm 91 - a passage about God's protection and provision for us and the reasons why He would give it to us.  I was reading through the chapter when I came to verse 9 -

"Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place, the Most High Who is my refuge."

Something stuck out to me there.

I am quite deeply introverted.  It's not that I don't like people - I care a lot about them.  But I gain all my energy from solitude and it's easy for me to feel out of place and unseen.

We had made several stops before we had arrived at our island - one being at a friend's home to sleep, once at a waterfall where I waded and waited for God to show me the why of this trip.  Because He doesn't just lead me somewhere without a reason.

And somehow, I felt like I belonged there.

I belonged in the empty English kitchen with a slice of toast for company.  I belonged in the swirling waves near the border.

Maybe the place of belonging is the place of seeing God?  Maybe it's not so much the place or the group or who will still be your friend in five years.  Maybe it's the God Who is there, the One Who sees, the One Who is our rest - our peace, the only home for our souls.

"Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." " (John 14:23)

"Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?" (1 Cor. 3:16)

I dwell in Him,

And He has made His home with me.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a good and meaningful trip. Hope Ali benefits from her trip also.
    Proverbs 16:9 Another good verse to remember and one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When You Wonder If You're Qualified

He Asks For Who We Are: (how what you have is enough to give, and why)

"No Mere Mortals".....Musings from Nationals