Wild & Free

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1)

This year so far has really been one of self-discovery.

Of discovering who I am in Him.  Who I am not.  Who I am to be.

Discovering what I believe.  What I don't.  And why.

Where He wants me.  Why He wants me here.  What I am to do.

Surprisingly enough, this journey began right when I decided to give up on the notion of possibly knowing exactly where I'm supposed to be.

He has this way of letting me live what I believe to be my plan for a while.  Then my life flips upside down, and really - that's the moment He's been waiting for.

Faith has never meant being tough.  It's never been about stepping up and showing people how it's done.

The heroes of Hebrews 11 - their strength came from their own brokenness because it was never about being strong.  It was never about the capabilities, their intelligence, their social status.

It's something society will never understand.  Something we wouldn't think of doing:

Our God delights most in using broken and weak things.  God has never called the perfect to follow Him.  Light can shine much clearer through the cracks of an imperfect and unqualified soul.  This is grace, and it's amazing.

When Jesus came to us, He did not choose teachers, priests, and other notable members of society to help Him establish His earthly ministry and build the church.

He chose people off the streets (literally!)  He chose fishermen.  Guys with anger issues - who denied ever hearing about Him.

And on them He built the church.

So what could He build on me?

It's a once-in-forever kind of deal.  "You've messed up a lot.  But I'll set you free - free from your prisons - your worry, doubt, fear, anger, hurt, your sin and the death you deserve.  My righteousness will be your free gift.  And I will do great things with you."

Free......

It's an overused word.  Maybe to some of us it seems like a trick - like some sort of cure-all propaganda.

But it doesn't matter what promises people gave you and never kept; what words they used to cut you open.

You are not your disappointments.  You are not your insecurities, scars, failed tests, your job, house, clothes, or the people who left you behind.

You are you.

And you are free.

You are free and more than a conqueror in Christ (Romans 8:37).  Because it has never been about being tough.

It's only ever been about our liberation - and the One Who broke the chains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When You Wonder If You're Qualified

He Asks For Who We Are: (how what you have is enough to give, and why)

"No Mere Mortals".....Musings from Nationals