A Bit of Wandering

Last month, as I wondered where the summer would lead - God worked in ways unknown to me and directed me to a Bible camp in Missouri.  I spent last week there as a counselor.

We as human beings like to think we can be on the same level as God - and carry the same understanding.  So we ask "Why?"  We try to figure out things for ourselves instead of leaving it to God to work out the details.  I wasn't sure what to anticipate from this past week, but decided to leave it with the One Who planned it.

There are some experiences I find no one can understand unless they have gone through something with you, and perhaps this will be one of those instances.  But this past week was incredible, and though I'm very much writing this for myself, I hope that perhaps you may share in my joy.

I've never been in an atmosphere quite like the one there.  From the moment I arrived on the scene to the night I left, I was surrounded by God's presence and people in a way I've never before known.

Frederick Buechner said it well - "The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."  Being in the company of such caring and gifted people, steeped in prayer and the Scriptures was incredible.  While striving to pour into the girls we were counseling, staff, interns and counselors poured into each other too as we watched lives being resurrected - shame being conquered and relationships restored with our very eyes.  Our God is much more powerful than we could ever imagine and defies the limits we put on Him.

There are many other camps I know of where each day usually consists of activities and sports to keep kids busy.  But this place was different.  Not just a lot of time, but almost all the time we had was devoted to teaching, worship, prayer and meditation.  What an incredible atmosphere to be in.  Yes, we did play a few games and such - but that was nowhere near being the focus.  The focus was and will always be Jesus Christ and the freedom He provides through His grace.

In James 5 we read "...Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."  This is what the church is supposed to look like.  A safe place, where anyone and everyone is welcome to find redemption through the blood of Jesus.  A place where we throw aside every weight that holds us down and run to our God.  We're supposed to help each other do this.  Yet too often (dare I say the majority of the time!?) we're the back-biters.  The gossips, cheaters, disloyal "friends" who are there as long as we can be benefited.  But as soon as being a Christian becomes dying to yourself and taking care of other people in their pain, we've vanished from the scene.

This was one of few places I've lived/worked in (besides my own home) where people actively care for each other.  Everyone was respectful of others, regardless of differences in experience or age.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to have worked there and for the amazing people I shared the experience with.  Hope to find my way there again sometime.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When You Wonder If You're Qualified

"No Mere Mortals".....Musings from Nationals

He Asks For Who We Are: (how what you have is enough to give, and why)